This is not a traditional Goan recipe. After I tested this recipe I thought of checking Google to see how many recipes I could find for Vindaloo Chicken Skewers and I was surprised to find not too many yay!
Vindaloo Chicken Skewers with Goan Salad
I wanted to make something with vindaloo curry paste other than just chicken vindaloo curry. The Goan in me only knows of Pork vindaloo, to think out of the box is a challenge. This whole week I have tried to think what would make for a good dipping sauce. Most people are used to a yogurt based sauce with Indian grilling. Goa is a state that hardly uses yogurt in cooking so I just could not think of any proper dipping sauce. Yogurt tends to overtake the spice flavors. To make up for the lack of a sauce I decided to sweeten the marinade. And guess what… I was totally surprised with the outcome. And my best/worst critic gave me a thumbs up ;-)
This blog post has 2 recipes today the second being the famous Goan salad that I grew up eating. The dressing was always the same we never had seen any other salad dressings till I came to the US. The basic salad is made with cabbage, carrots, onions. tomatoes, vinegar and oil is an option. I skipped the olive oil as I wanted to cut the calories. Sometimes simplicity just cannot be beat. So I would challenge you to try this very simplistic recipe at-least for once’s :-).
Prep work for the skewers:
1) If you want your meats to be well-flavored then my HUMBLE advice is to marinate the meat over-nite.
2) Refrigerate the meat in an air-tight glass container like a Pyrex, as it can stain plastic tupperware and it has a strong smell of the vinegar, ginger-garlic paste.
3) Soak the skewers in water for a couple of hours so that they do not get burnt specially if you are using a fire grill.
Serving size : 4
- 2 lbs of chicken breast
- 2-3 tbsp of vindaloo curry paste
- 2 tbsp of seasoned vinegar
- 2 tsp of sugar
- 2 tbsp of fresh ginger garlic paste
- salt to taste
- Wash the meat and butterfly the breast, place the meat between parchment paper and lightly tenderize the meat. Cut them into 4 strip each.
- Mix the vindaloo paste, sugar, vinegar, ginger-garlic paste to form a marinade. Season the chicken with salt, apply the marinade and store it in the refrigerator overnight in a air tight glass container.
- Heat the grill either wood, gas or electric.
- Skewer the meat about 8 skewers in total.
- Brush it with some oil and grill the skewers for 4-5 minutes on each side. I like my meats well done. If you like it just done then for 2-3 minutes on each side.
Serve as a side with rice or with a nice Goan salad.
Goan Salad Recipe
Serving Size: 4
- 2 cups of shredded cabbage
- 1 cup of shredded carrots
- 1/2 medium onion finely sliced
- 1/2 jalapeno diced finely
- 3 tbsp of seasoned or any vinegar
- 1 medium tomato diced (optional)
- 1 tbsp oil (optional)
- 1 1/2 tsp of sugar
- 7-9 sprigs of chopped cilantro
- salt to taste
- In a mixing bowl add vinegar, sugar, diced jalapeno, salt and whisk it.
- Mix the cabbage and sliced onions together and pour about 3/4 the amount of dressing and mix it well.
- Pour the rest of dressing into the grated carrots.
- On a serving plate lay the cabbage first. Next lay the carrots. Decorate with chopped tomatoes and cilantro.
Wondering what the word “Bhaji” (Baja-gi) in Green Plantain Bhaji means. Well I was trying to link it to Wikipedia so it would be easier but the Bhaji that was described was totally different then I expected. It was what we call Bhajia, which are deep fired fritter made with garbanzo bean flour, onions, spices, baking soda and chopped cilantro. So I would not be wrong in saying that it is a common slang in Goa and some parts of Indian that “Bhaji” (mind you J is not pronounced as H in Indian) means cooked vegetables.
Green Plantain Recipe
Green Kerala where plantains are consumed the most.
is not a typical Goan dish but is cooked quite a bit in the north part of Goa and since I grew up in the south it was not common. I got introduced to plantains by my husband as his mum is from the state of
Kerala is a coastal state just like Goa and is down south. On a side note, it is believed that St Thomas landed in Kerala and just like Goa has a huge Christian population which is mostly made of Orthodox Christians and you wont believe… a very tiny percent of Jews who still have a synagogue in Kochi. Apart from the Portuguese who landed first in Kerala then followed by the Dutch and English. It also has the highest Literacy Rate in India.
When I cooked the Green Plantains, I realized that they are a good substitute for potatoes. It does not have a lot of flavor and is very dry and waxy to taste. Also since it has more resistant starches, it makes for a lower GI food. You can check the following article.
Serving Size: 6-8
- 4 green plantains
- 1 medium diced onions
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 1 tbsp of xacuti masala
- 1/4 tsp of whole black mustard seeds
- 3 whole red chilli
- 3/4 cup water
- 12-15 curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- Steam the 4 green plantains on medium heat for 25 minutes. Let cool, then skin it and dice the plantains.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds, red chillies and half the curry leaves. Be careful as the mustard seeds tend to splatter, cover the pan for 30 seconds till the popping sound is over.
- Next add the xacuti masala and saute for 1 minute. To this add the water and salt to taste, cook covered for 2-3 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the chopped plantains, mix well and check for seasoning. Again cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Next add the grated coconut, curry leaves and stir. Cook covered for another 3-5 minutes till done.
Serve this Green Plantain Bhaji as a savory side with rice or bread. It is vegetarian and vegan friendly. Not a fan of Green Plantains then try out my Green Beans Recipe.
Almondegas (Almon) de Peixe recipe is very Goan and has a big Portuguese influence. It has many names depending where it is made. It is popularly knows as Fish Cutlets in rest of India and Fish Patties or Fish cakes in US. Mind you, you may want to call them croquettes but in Goa it has a total different meaning and are made only of beef.
Almondegas or Almones as we called, according to Google translation is meatballs or hamburgers. Assuming that it is alright to call them fish burgers as they are disk shape then a ball. The fish is first cooked as Guisado de Peixe by following my earlier recipe. Which is made with garlic, onions, tomatoes, vinegar and a few spices. The lazy me used the recheado masala as it has most of the ingredients.
Spicy Tilapia Curry also called as Goan Guisado de Peixe
To make these Fish cutlets you have to get your hands dirty. So be ready to put in some time but it will be worth all the effort in the end.
In this recipe I will confuse you with my cooking skills of making these fish cakes but do not worry in the end it all works out well. My intention is not to challenge or be rebellious but this is how I learned watching my family cook. There are 2 major differences.
- Firstly Indian’s use Cream of Wheat instead of Breadcrumbs for coating. My humble opinion, it absorbs less oil :-)
- Second, egg wash is not very common. Usually the egg is mixed in the mixture. The dry-wet-dry breading concept is not common :-)
So moving on, after the fish is cooked let it cool down. During this recipe I experienced that the tilapia retains liquid so you will have to squeeze out the liquid for the fish to be dry and to be shaped properly.
From start to finish this is what you will need for this recipe in ingredients
Servings: 10 Fish Cutlets 2″ rounds
- 2 lbs of cooked guisado tilapia
- 1 small onion diced very finely
- 1 beaten egg
- 15 sprigs of cilantro chopped finely
- 1 jalapeno diced fine
- 1/2 cup cream of wheat (semolina/ rava/ sooji)
- Salt to taste
- Oil to fry
Almondegas de Peixe Sandwich
- Squeeze the liquid of the cooked fish, break it apart in a mixing bowl.
- Add the diced onion, cilantro,jalapeno, beaten eggs and mix it well with your hands. Check for salt.
- Divide in 10 equal portions and then shape each in a approx 2″ round patty.
- Coat the patty in cream of wheat.
- Next heat a non stick pan add about 3-4 tbsp of oil and pan-fry for about 4 minutes on each side on medium heat till the cream of wheat is browned and cooked.
Serve it as a side, an appetizer or make an easy sandwich with leafy greens and butter to enjoy the bold fish flavors.
Name too long, I couldn’t think of anything better to describe this recipe :-). Have a better idea then just leave it in the comments. Mind you it is a kid friendly website :-). I must confess, before I made these aromatic toasted coconut cashew date laddoos I just wasn’t a big fan of dates. I started to eat them because of my diet that called for eliminating processed sugars with more natural forms. A word of caution it does have approx 8-9 grams of sugar per date, so keep a watchful eye. I just love to eat something sweet after a meal.
Nuts, Coconut and Date Balls Recipe
I found ripe dates are mushy and work as a great binder. Also you have to toast the coconut as fresh grated coconut goes bad specially if it is hot. Laddoo( in hindi) is a word used for sweets that are round in shape. My first try of these aromatic goodness was with just cashews. On my second try I decided to add a Goan influence of coconut and cardamom.
Fyi Indians use cardamom to flavor the desserts, while cinnamon is more popular in the US.
Vegetarian Vegan Friendly Dates Recipe
Serving : 12-13 gumball sized
12-14 medjool dates
6 oz of roasted / raw cashews
4 cardamom seeds pounded
3.5 oz of lightly toasted coconut
Pinch of salt
• In a non stick pan add grated coconut and on medium low heat toast the coconut till light golden brown.
• In a mixing bowl, first de-seed the dates and smash it with a fork or use your fingers.
• Roughly chop the cashews and add it to the mixing bowl.
• Next add the toasted coconut, crushed cardamom and mix it well with your hands. It should have a dough ball consistency.
• Divide into equal portions depending on the size of date balls you want.
• Shape each portion to a smooth ball.
Toasted coconut Cashews Date Laddoos
Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place. Enjoy it as a healthy snack or with a nice cup of tea. Its is vegetarian and vegan friendly.
For more recipes and Indian Spices visit us @ www.goanimports.com