Its Friday and I thought of sharing this Spicy Tilapia in Recheado Curry recipe also called as Guisado De Peixe which is prepared with any fish of your choice. Friday was a day we did not eat meat as the Catholics believed that Jesus died on that day and it was a way to mourn his death. Funny as it may sound, till today on Friday’s my mom does not buy anything new for the home. Be it furniture, clothes, jewellery, electronics or stuff that I wouldn’t have thought twice. Unfortunately for her I don’t follow with those traditions. I am not sure if it’s a good or a bad thing as I would love for my sons to grow with some sort of traditions as I grew up with.
Apart from my reasoning, this dish of Spicy Tilapia in Recheado Curry is a great dish that you can enjoy the day made or the next. Perfect to impress your guest of your culinary skills. The Spices and the sourness from the Goan coconut vinegar makes the fish taste exotic even though it is so easy to make.
Recheado Masala is a ground spice mix made with red chillies, ginger, garlic, turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, peppercorns, cloves, tamarind, salt and sugar that is ground in pure coconut vinegar.
2 lbs of filet Tilapia fish cut 2″ pieces (I buy from Costco as it is fresh)
1 1/2-2 tbsp of Recheado Masala (2 or more if you want it spicy)
1 medium ripe tomato diced
3 cloves garlic diced
1/2 medium onion diced
3/4 cup water
5-8 sprigs of cilantro
salt to taste
- Cut the fish in 2″ pieces, wash, apply salt and keep aside.
- Heat oil, add the diced onion and saute till translucent.
- Then add the tomato and cook till it softens, put the recheado masala, diced garlic and saute for a 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add in the water, season it with salt and cover and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. This helps the curry to be more flavorful ( A trick I learned from my mum, weird but it works).
- Add the fish, salt to taste if required and cook covered for 5 minutes on medium heat. Open and cook uncovered for another 3 to 5 minutes. Add chopped cilantro.
You can server this Spicy Tilapia in Recheado Curry with white or brown rice or eat it with bread. Hope you enjoy!
Visit Us @ www.goanimports.com
Like Us @ www.facebook.com/goanimports