I grew up eating this beef curry recipe at least 5 days a week. Making it yesterday made me feel nostalgic and brought back a lot of childhood memories and the people who were in my life but no more. The simple pleasures of life. Beef in Goa was cheaper than chicken. Sundays we would enjoy the famous Goan sausages, chicken curry with pulao rice. That was the staple. Guess most households has a Sunday tradition but I haven’t been able to do the same with my family. Sundays is the day I don’t want to be bothered with cooking so it’s usually take out hopefully sometimes soon.
- 2 1/2 lbs of beef either chuck roast or stew meat cut in 1 inch cubed
- 1 inch minced ginger (optional)
- 1/2 medium or small onion diced
- 2 tbsp of cafreal masala
- 1/2 tsp of sugar
- 1 1/2 cup of water
- salt to taste
- Apply salt to the meat and keep aside. ( my mom used to do it so that the inside part of the meat would not taste bland)
- Heat oil and add the chopped onions saute till translucent add the ginger and saute till you can smell it about 20-30 seconds.
- Next add the cafreal paste and saute for 15-20 seconds add the meat and saute for 5 minutes till all the meat is well coasted with the spices.
- Add water and salt to taste. Cook covered for 45 minutes on medium heat checking occasionally.
- Serve with rice or bread.
This is such a simple recipe and like all Indian curry recipes taste better the next day. If the green beef curry is what you want to make than all you need is to add 1/2 a bunch of cilantro puree to the recipe and voila you will get the famous Goan green beef curry. One thing about the Goan beef curry unlike the Thai beef curry there is no coconut milk and its savory then sweet. But you can always variate according to your taste.
Visit us @ Goan Imports
Like Us @ Goan Imports