I know this is not your typical stuffed cabbage recipe. But if you love Indian Spices and Indian foods then you have to try this. Based on my humble opinion it is a one pot meal as it has veggies, meat and starch. Its works well with my low carbs and low-fat diet that I follow from the PX90 menu. But don’t ask me about the beach body workout. That’s a topic I don’t want to venture.
I do know that the stuffed cabbage was originated in Eastern Europe. To give it a Indian spiced twist, I had to make a few change to the seasoning and broth so that the flavor would not clash but be enhanced. I used chicken as it’s a popular meat, vindaloo spice and fresh cilantro. Instead of using tomato puree I used a chopped tomato in the broth as the vindaloo paste is ground in vinegar and is already acidic enough. I am not a big fan of too much tomato. Cilantro also known as coriander plays an important role in Indian foods, just like parsley is to Italian cooking.
1 large head of cabbage (I got 20 leaves some big and some small)
2 tbsp of vindaloo paste
1 lbs of ground chicken
1 medium onion chopped finely
1 tomato finely chopped
1 cup of cooked rice
1 can of chicken broth
10 sprigs of cilantro
1 beaten egg
salt to taste
For the filling:
- Saute 1/2 chopped onions in a small pan till translucent.
- Add the vindaloo paste and saute for 2 to 3 minutes on medium heat.
- Take off heat. Let it cool.
- Now mix it with the ground chicken, along with the rice, beaten egg and chopped cilantro. Add salt to taste.
For cabbage leaves:
- Heat water in a large deep pot and add 1 tbsp of salt to the water.
- Add the whole cabbage head and cover the pot be carefully of water spillage as the cabbage head displaces water.
- Cook for 5 minutes. Take it of the heat and rinse it in cold running water.
- Carefully peel layer by layer if the inside layers are not cooked a bit or soft enough put it in the hot water for 2 to 3 minutes and follow the above steps. Keep aside.
Stuffing the Cabbage Leaf :
Divide the filling in equal parts to the nos of cabbage leaf and stuff the cabbage and seal them with toothpicks.
Cooking the Stuffed Cabbage :
- Heat oil in a pot and saute the remaining 1/2 chopped onions till translucent, add the chopped tomato and saute till the tomato is soft.
- Now add the chicken broth and salt to taste if required. Cover and bring the broth to a boil.
- Next add the stuffed cabbage and cook covered for 35 minutes on medium heat. Check occasionally and baste the cabbage.