Caldo Verde can also be called as Cream of Spinach Soup is a Portuguese Soup which is popular in Goa for special occasion. Caldo Verde in simple translation would be Caldo meaning “Broth” and Verde meaning ” Green”. It is most often served in little teacups instead of soup bowls. The Goan version of caldo verde is made with spinach instead of collard greens.
- 10 oz of fresh spinach
- 1 large russet potato ( cleaned and diced in large chunks )
- 4 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup whole or 2% milk
- 1 small onion chopped fine
- Heat oil in a pot and add the chopped onions, saute till the onions are translucent.
- Add the potatoes, broth and cook covered on medium heat till potatoes are soft about 15-20 minutes.
- Next add the Spinach and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Take of heat and with a hand blender puree the soup in the pot carefully as its hot. Once done add the milk. Place it back on the heat and bring it to a quick boil.
- Serve hot with rustic bread or slices of baguette.
The nice thing about this soup is that you can make it vegetarian or non-vegetarian. Also it taste better the next day. You can check out more recipes here.