This is not a traditional Goan recipe. After I tested this recipe I thought of checking Google to see how many recipes I could find for Vindaloo Chicken Skewers and I was surprised to find not too many yay!
I wanted to make something with vindaloo curry paste other than just chicken vindaloo curry. The Goan in me only knows of Pork vindaloo, to think out of the box is a challenge. This whole week I have tried to think what would make for a good dipping sauce. Most people are used to a yogurt based sauce with Indian grilling. Goa is a state that hardly uses yogurt in cooking so I just could not think of any proper dipping sauce. Yogurt tends to overtake the spice flavors. To make up for the lack of a sauce I decided to sweeten the marinade. And guess what… I was totally surprised with the outcome. And my best/worst critic gave me a thumbs up 😉
This blog post has 2 recipes today the second being the famous Goan salad that I grew up eating. The dressing was always the same we never had seen any other salad dressings till I came to the US. The basic salad is made with cabbage, carrots, onions. tomatoes, vinegar and oil is an option. I skipped the olive oil as I wanted to cut the calories. Sometimes simplicity just cannot be beat. So I would challenge you to try this very simplistic recipe at-least for once’s :-).
Prep work for the skewers:
1) If you want your meats to be well-flavored then my HUMBLE advice is to marinate the meat over-nite.
2) Refrigerate the meat in an air-tight glass container like a Pyrex, as it can stain plastic tupperware and it has a strong smell of the vinegar, ginger-garlic paste.
3) Soak the skewers in water for a couple of hours so that they do not get burnt specially if you are using a fire grill.
Serving size : 4
- 2 lbs of chicken breast
- 2-3 tbsp of vindaloo curry paste
- 2 tbsp of seasoned vinegar
- 2 tsp of sugar
- 2 tbsp of fresh ginger garlic paste
- salt to taste
- Wash the meat and butterfly the breast, place the meat between parchment paper and lightly tenderize the meat. Cut them into 4 strip each.
- Mix the vindaloo paste, sugar, vinegar, ginger-garlic paste to form a marinade. Season the chicken with salt, apply the marinade and store it in the refrigerator overnight in a air tight glass container.
- Heat the grill either wood, gas or electric.
- Skewer the meat about 8 skewers in total.
- Brush it with some oil and grill the skewers for 4-5 minutes on each side. I like my meats well done. If you like it just done then for 2-3 minutes on each side.
Serve as a side with rice or with a nice Goan salad.
Goan Salad Recipe
Serving Size: 4
- 2 cups of shredded cabbage
- 1 cup of shredded carrots
- 1/2 medium onion finely sliced
- 1/2 jalapeno diced finely
- 3 tbsp of seasoned or any vinegar
- 1 medium tomato diced (optional)
- 1 tbsp oil (optional)
- 1 1/2 tsp of sugar
- 7-9 sprigs of chopped cilantro
- salt to taste
- In a mixing bowl add vinegar, sugar, diced jalapeno, salt and whisk it.
- Mix the cabbage and sliced onions together and pour about 3/4 the amount of dressing and mix it well.
- Pour the rest of dressing into the grated carrots.
- On a serving plate lay the cabbage first. Next lay the carrots. Decorate with chopped tomatoes and cilantro.